a) Mr Okyere takes banana and apple to the office to share with his of

ostric16 2021-11-21 Answered
a) Mr Okyere takes banana and apple to the office to share with his office mate. The probability that he will eat the banana is 0.7 and 0.8 is the probability that he will eat the apple. The probability that he will eat both fruits is 0.6. Find the conditional probability that he will eat the apple given that he does not eat the banana.
b) The Ministry of Agriculture in its fight against the army worm infection of maize farms in the country has approved three brands of chemicals A, B and C to be used by farmers as follows: Farmers are to combine exactly two of the chemicals to spray their farms or they should use none of them. The proportions of farmers who opted for chemicals A, B and C are respectively given by i \(\displaystyle{\frac{{{1}}}{{{5}}}},\ {\frac{{{1}}}{{{3}}}}\) and \(\displaystyle{\frac{{{7}}}{{{15}}}}\) A farmer is randomly selected from the group of farmers. What is the probability that the farmer chose none of the chemicals?
c) Consider three boxes containing a brand of light bulbs. Box I contains 6 bulbs of which 2 are defective, Box 2 has 1 defective and 3 functional bulbs and Box 3 contains 3 defective and 4 functional bulbs. A box is selected at random and a bulb drawn from it at random is found to be defective. Find the probability that the box selected was Box 2.

Expert Community at Your Service

  • Live experts 24/7
  • Questions are typically answered in as fast as 30 minutes
  • Personalized clear answers
Learn more

Plainmath recommends

  • Ask your own question for free.
  • Get a detailed answer even on the hardest topics.
  • Ask an expert for a step-by-step guidance to learn to do it yourself.
Ask Question

Expert Answer

Michele Grimsley
Answered 2021-11-22 Author has 1265 answers
Step 1
Note:
Thank you for the question. Since multiple subparts are posted, according to our policy, we are answering the first three subparts for you. If you need help with any other subpart, please re-post the question and mention the subpart number you need help with.
Step 2
Concept of conditional probability:
For any two events A and B with \(\displaystyle{P}{\left({B}\right)}{>}{0}\), the formula for conditional probability is given by:
\(\displaystyle{P}{\left({A}{\mid}{B}\right)}={\frac{{{P}{\left({A}\cap{B}\right)}}}{{{P}{\left({B}\right)}}}}\)
Step 3
From the given information, the probability that the person will eat the banana is 0.7. That is, \(\displaystyle{P}{\left({A}\right)}={0.7}\).
The probability that the person will eat the apple is 0.8. That is, \(\displaystyle{P}{\left({B}\right)}={0.8}\).
The probability that the person will eat banana and apple is 0.6. That is, \(\displaystyle{P}{\left({A}{\quad\text{and}\quad}{B}\right)}={0.6}\).
It is required to find the probability that he will eat the apple given that he does not eat the banana is \(\displaystyle{P}{\left({B}{\mid}{A}^{{{C}}}\right)}\) and is calculated as follows:
\(\displaystyle{P}{\left({B}{\mid}{A}^{{{C}}}\right)}={\frac{{{P}{\left({B}\cap{A}^{{{C}}}\right)}}}{{{P}{\left({A}^{{{C}}}\right)}}}}\)
\(\displaystyle={\frac{{{P}{\left({B}\right)}-{P}{\left({A}\cap{B}\right)}}}{{{1}-{P}{\left({A}\right)}}}}\)
\(\displaystyle={\frac{{{0.8}-{0.6}}}{{{1}-{0.7}}}}\)
\(\displaystyle={\frac{{{0.2}}}{{{0.3}}}}\)
\(\displaystyle={0.6667}\)
Therefore, the conditional probability that he will eat the apple given that he does not eat the banana is 0.6667.
Have a similar question?
Ask An Expert
0
 

Expert Community at Your Service

  • Live experts 24/7
  • Questions are typically answered in as fast as 30 minutes
  • Personalized clear answers
Learn more

Relevant Questions

asked 2021-09-03
The time between calls to a corporate office is exponentially distributed with a mean of 8 minutes.
What is the probability that there are more than three calls in one-half hour?
asked 2021-11-17
At a doctor's office, patients arrive at a rate of ten per hour. With a probability of \(\displaystyle{\frac{{{1}}}{{{2}}}}\), each is either young or old. Assume you know that exactly ten young people arrived within an hour (say, 10 to 11am)
a) Compute the probability that exactly 10 old patients also entered.
b) Compute the probability that at least 20 patients have entered
asked 2021-09-14
The Metropolis police station calls Superman an average of 3 times per hour to ask for his help. The probability that the station calls Superman in a time interval is dependent only on the length of the time interval and, furthermore, is independent of whether or not the department called Superman on any previous time interval. Superman goes on a date with Lois Lane and picks her up from her place at 7:00pm.
What is the probability that the date is interrupted 5 times during the first hour and Lois decides to go back to the office and finish writing her article?
asked 2021-09-16
My keys got lost either at home or at the office, but I know that they are easy likely to be at office than at home.
If they are at office, I will find them the next day with probability 40%. If they are at home, I will find them the next day with probability 60%.
What is the probability that the next day I have found a keys?
asked 2021-08-15
The following data was collected about students in Mr. Rexinger's high school statistics class. Wearing jeansNot wearing jeans Has long hair(below chin)77 Does not have long hair513
a. Mr. Rexinger is playing a game with his students. He randomly chooses a mystery student from his class roster. If a player guesses the hair length of the mystery student correctly, the player gets an early-lunch pass. Madeline is the next player. To have the greatest chance of winning an early-lunch pass, should she guess that the student has long hair? Explain. b. Mr. Rexinger tells Madeline that the mystery student is wearing jeans. Would you advise Madeline to change her guess? Explain. c. In a previous course, you may have studied the association of two numerical variables by analyzing scatterplots and least squares regression lines. Associations between categorical events, like having long hair or wearing jeans, are determined by independence-if two events are independent, then they are not associated. Are the events {not having long hair} and {wearing jeans} associated for the students in Mr. Rexinger's class today? Explain the independence relationship using P(A given B) = P(A). d. Are the events {not having long hair} and {wearing jeans} mutually exclusive? Explain.
asked 2021-09-12
Ali starts driving for office in the morning at some time uniformly chosen in the interval [8:30,9.00]. His favorite radio program comes on at 8:30 and may last anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes with equal probability. What is the probability that he catches at least a part of the program?
asked 2021-08-23
Mr. Kram is considering running for mayor of the land of the dawn. Before completing the petitions, he decided to conduct a survey of voters in the land of dawn. A sample of 400 voters reveals that 300 would support him in the May Election. Develop a 99 percent confidence interval for the population proportion.

Plainmath recommends

  • Ask your own question for free.
  • Get a detailed answer even on the hardest topics.
  • Ask an expert for a step-by-step guidance to learn to do it yourself.
Ask Question
...