Question

For each of the following situations, state whether you’d use a chi-square goodness-of-fit test, a chi-square test of homogeneity, a chi-square test o

Chi-square tests
ANSWERED
asked 2021-03-05
For each of the following situations, state whether you’d use a chi-square goodness-of-fit test, a chi-square test of homogeneity, a chi-square test of independence, or some other statistical test:
a) Is the quality of a car affected by what day it was built? A car manufacturer examines a random sample of the warranty claims filed over the past two years to test whether defects are randomly distributed across days of the work week.
b) A medical researcher wants to know if blood cholesterol level is related to heart disease. She examines a database of 10,000 patients, testing whether the cholesterol level (in milligrams) is related to whether or not a person has heart disease.
c) A student wants to find out whether political leaning (liberal, moderate, or conservative) is related to choice of major. He surveys 500 randomly chosen students and performs a test.

Expert Answers (1)

2021-03-06
a) \(x^{2}-GOF\)
We are comparing observed values to expected values
b) Another test must be used Cholesterol level is quantitative and not a count.
c) \(x^{2}\) test for independence Relation between political leaning and choice of major
38
 
Best answer

expert advice

Have a similar question?
We can deal with it in 3 hours

Relevant Questions

asked 2021-02-12
For the following situations, identify the test you would run to analyze the data:
A marketing firm producing costumes is interested in studying consumer behavior in the context of purchase decision of costumes in a specific market. This company is a major player in the costume market that is characterized by intense competition. The company would like to know in particular whether the income level of the consumers (measured as lower, middle, upper middle, and upper class) influences their choice of costume type. They are specifically focused on four types of costumes (funny costumes, scary costumes, clever costumes, and boring costumes).
a. Chi-Square Goodness of Fit
b. Frequencies
c. Descriptive Statistics
d. Chi-Square of Independence
asked 2020-12-09
You want to know whether people in different regions of the country are equally likely to vote Sarah Duterte, Peter Cayetano, Mar Roxas, or any candidate other than the three in the next election. You would use
A. chi-square test of independence.
B. either chi-square test (goodness-of-fit or test of independence), depending on how you set up the problem.
C. chi-square goodness-of-fit test.
D. both chi-square tests, in order to check the results of one with the other.
asked 2021-05-14
When σ is unknown and the sample size is \(\displaystyle{n}\geq{30}\), there are tow methods for computing confidence intervals for μμ. Method 1: Use the Student's t distribution with d.f. = n - 1. This is the method used in the text. It is widely employed in statistical studies. Also, most statistical software packages use this method. Method 2: When \(\displaystyle{n}\geq{30}\), use the sample standard deviation s as an estimate for σσ, and then use the standard normal distribution. This method is based on the fact that for large samples, s is a fairly good approximation for σσ. Also, for large n, the critical values for the Student's t distribution approach those of the standard normal distribution. Consider a random sample of size n = 31, with sample mean x¯=45.2 and sample standard deviation s = 5.3. (c) Compare intervals for the two methods. Would you say that confidence intervals using a Student's t distribution are more conservative in the sense that they tend to be longer than intervals based on the standard normal distribution?
asked 2021-07-02
An investor plans to put $50,000 in one of four investments. The return on each investment depends on whether next year’s economy is strong or weak. The following table summarizes the possible payoffs, in dollars, for the four investments.
Certificate of deposit
Office complex
Land speculation
Technical school
amp; Strong amp;6,000 amp;15,000 amp;33,000 amp;5,500
amp; Weak amp;6,000 amp;5,000 amp;−17,000 amp;10,000
Let V, W, X, and Y denote the payoffs for the certificate of deposit, office complex, land speculation, and technical school, respectively. Then V, W, X, and Y are random variables. Assume that next year’s economy has a 40% chance of being strong and a 60% chance of being weak. a. Find the probability distribution of each random variable V, W, X, and Y. b. Determine the expected value of each random variable. c. Which investment has the best expected payoff? the worst? d. Which investment would you select? Explain.
...