Question

An electric heater is used to heat a room of a volume 62m^3. Air is brought into the room at 5^\circ C and is changed completely twice per hour. Heat

Other
ANSWERED
asked 2021-02-19
An electric heater is used to heat a room of a volume \(\displaystyle{62}{m}^{{3}}\). Air is brought into the room at \(\displaystyle{5}^{\circ}\) C and is changed completely twice per hour. Heat loss through the walls amounts to approximately 850 kcal/h. If the air is to be maintainedat \(\displaystyle{20}^{\circ}\) C, what minimum wattage must the heater have? (The specific heat of air is about 0.17 kcal/kg*Co.)

Answers (1)

2021-02-21
\(\displaystyle{\frac{{{V}}}{{{t}}}}={62}\cdot{\frac{{{2}}}{{{1}}}}{h}{r}={0.034}\frac{{m}^{{3}}}{{s}}\)
850 kcal/hr=850/3600(kcal/sec)= 0.236
1 kcal = 4186 J
\(\displaystyle{P}={\frac{{{Q}}}{{{t}}}}={\left({0.034}\cdot{0.17}\cdot{1.29}\cdot{15}+{0.236}\right)}={0.348}{k}{c}{a}\frac{{l}}{{s}}={1456.7}\frac{{J}}{{s}}={1456.7}{W}\)
0
 
Best answer

expert advice

Need a better answer?

Relevant Questions

asked 2021-05-16
A copper pot with mass 0.500 kg contains 0.170 kg of water ata temperature of \(\displaystyle{20.0}^{\circ}\) C. A 0.250-kg block of iron at \(\displaystyle{85.0}^{\circ}\) C is dropped into the pot. Find the final temperature, assuming no heat loss to the surroundings.
asked 2021-04-11
The equation F=−vex(dm/dt) for the thrust on a rocket, can also be applied to an airplane propeller. In fact, there are two contributions to the thrust: one positive and one negative. The positive contribution comes from air pushed backward, away from the propeller (so dm/dt<0), at a speed vex relative to the propeller. The negative contribution comes from this same quantity of air flowing into the front of the propeller (so dm/dt>0) at speed v, equal to the speed of the airplane through the air.
For a Cessna 182 (a single-engine airplane) flying at 130 km/h, 150 kg of air flows through the propeller each second and the propeller develops a net thrust of 1300 N. Determine the speed increase (in km/h) that the propeller imparts to the air.
asked 2021-04-20
During light activity, a 70-kg person may generate 200 kcal /h. Assuming that 20% of this goes into useful work and the other 80% is converted to heat, calculate the temperature rise of the body after 1.00 h if none of this heat were transferred to the environment.
asked 2021-05-09
The dominant form of drag experienced by vehicles (bikes, cars,planes, etc.) at operating speeds is called form drag. Itincreases quadratically with velocity (essentially because theamount of air you run into increase with v and so does the amount of force you must exert on each small volume of air). Thus
\(\displaystyle{F}_{{{d}{r}{u}{g}}}={C}_{{d}}{A}{v}^{{2}}\)
where A is the cross-sectional area of the vehicle and \(\displaystyle{C}_{{d}}\) is called the coefficient of drag.
Part A:
Consider a vehicle moving with constant velocity \(\displaystyle\vec{{{v}}}\). Find the power dissipated by form drag.
Express your answer in terms of \(\displaystyle{C}_{{d}},{A},\) and speed v.
Part B:
A certain car has an engine that provides a maximum power \(\displaystyle{P}_{{0}}\). Suppose that the maximum speed of thee car, \(\displaystyle{v}_{{0}}\), is limited by a drag force proportional to the square of the speed (as in the previous part). The car engine is now modified, so that the new power \(\displaystyle{P}_{{1}}\) is 10 percent greater than the original power (\(\displaystyle{P}_{{1}}={110}\%{P}_{{0}}\)).
Assume the following:
The top speed is limited by air drag.
The magnitude of the force of air drag at these speeds is proportional to the square of the speed.
By what percentage, \(\displaystyle{\frac{{{v}_{{1}}-{v}_{{0}}}}{{{v}_{{0}}}}}\), is the top speed of the car increased?
Express the percent increase in top speed numerically to two significant figures.
...